The Pain & Policy Studies Group (PPSG), within the Carbone Cancer Center of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, has housed a WHO Collaborating Center (WHOCC) since 1996.
The WHOCC for Pain Policy and Palliative Care does not receive direct or indirect funding from industry or industry-related institutions.
The Terms of Reference (TOR) of the WHO Collaborating Center for Pain Policy and Palliative Care are as follows:
TOR 1: Collaborate jointly and give technical assistance to units of the WHO (including Noncommunicablediseases and the Essential Medicines and Health Products Programmes) to promote palliative careand opioid availability, consistent with WHA Palliative Care Resolution 67.19
TOR 2: To provide technical assistance, consistent with WHA Palliative care Resolution 67.19 to nationalGovernments, NGOs and individuals.
TOR 3: Develop methods to monitor and study national and international trends and policies related to themedical use of opioid medications, as well as methods to monitor trends on abuse and diversion of prescription opioids.
TOR 4: Work with Surveillance and Population-based Prevention Unit of the Prevention of Noncommunicable Diseases Department at WHO.
Center Staff Members:
James Cleary, MD, FRCAP, FAChPM
David Joranson, MSSW
Founder, Distinguished Scientist
Martha Maurer, MSSW, MPH, PhD
Policy Program Manager & Researcher
Aaron Gilson, MS, MSSW, PhD
Research Program Manager
Marty Skemp Brown, MBA-HCA
Administrative Program Manager & Policy Analyst
Asra Husain, JD, MA
Policy & Legal Analyst
Barbara Hastie, MA, PhD
Researcher & Policy Analyst
Links to other WHO Collaborating Centres that address Pain Relief or Palliative Care within their Terms of Reference
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Public Health Palliative Care Programmes, Department of Palliative Care. Catalan Institute of Oncology; Barcelona, Spain
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Palliative Care. Sir Michael Sobell House, Churchill Hospital; Oxford, UK.
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training for Nursing Development in Primary Health Care. College of Nursing, Yonsei University; Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Nursing Development in Primary Health Care. Department of Nursing, St. Luke’s College of Nursing; Tokyo, Japan.
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Palliative Care and Older People. Department of Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation, King’s College of London; London, UK.
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Community Participation in Palliative Care and Long Term Care. Institute of Palliative Medicine, Medical College; Kozhikode, Kerala, India.
- WHO Collaborating Centre for Cancer Education, Training and Research. King Hussein Cancer Center; Amman, Jordan